As MedStar Health residents and fellows, your voice is critically important and we wanted to share with you an important leadership opportunity. The MedStar Health System Graduate Medical Education Committee (System GMEC) provides residents and fellow with the opportunity to advocate for their colleagues, listen to concerns, and identify areas for improvement. The System GMEC currently has openings for two resident positions and is in search of residents or fellows from across the system who are interested in serving as an active member of the System GMEC for a two-year term.
- Providing a pathway for awareness, dialogue, and action with the System GMEC and GME leadership team.
- Serving as an ambassador and link for the relay of communications both from and to residents and fellows across the system.
- Working in close collaboration with the resident/fellow members of the Physician Leadership Council (PLC) to advance GME initiatives at MedStar Health.
The new resident/fellow members will be elected based on a peer voting process, with consideration given to hospitals and programs that are not currently represented by resident or fellow members on the System GMEC.
Those elected will serve as full voting members of the System GMEC for a two-year term. As such, attendance at all scheduled meetings is anticipated. The System GMEC meets monthly, with a 1.5 hour virtual meeting most months and a quarterly longer-form (four hour) in-person meeting in Columbia, Maryland in September, December, March, and June. Given the importance of an interactive dialogue, there is no virtual or hybrid option available for the quarterly in-person meetings. Lunch will be provided. The full System GMEC schedule for FY24 is appended below.
|Thursday, September 7, 2023||1:00 – 5:00 pm (4 hours, in person, CCO)|
|Thursday, October 5, 2023||12:00 – 1:30 pm (1.5 hours)|
|Thursday, November 2, 2023||12:00 – 1:30 pm|
|Tuesday, December 5, 2023||1:00 – 5:00 pm (in person, CCO)|
|Thursday, January 4, 2024||12:00 – 1:30 pm|
|Thursday, February 1, 2024||12:00 – 1:30 pm|
|Tuesday, March 19, 2024||1:00 – 5:00 pm (in person, CCO)|
|Thursday, April 4, 2024||12:00 – 1:30 pm|
|Thursday, May 2, 2024||12:00 – 1:30 pm|
|Tuesday, June 4, 2024||1:00 – 5:00 pm (in person, CCO)|
Residents/fellows can self-nominate. Requirements for nomination include:
- Obtain a letter of support from your Program Director, confirming that you are in good academic standing, and that you can commit the time necessary to successfully meet the responsibilities of the position, including attendance at all meetings (virtual and in-person).
- Prepare a brief personal statement outlining your interest and commitment to this position if elected. Your statement will be distributed widely to all residents and fellows across the system for voting purposes.
In order to be considered for the open positions, the letter of support from your Program Director and your personal statement must be e-mailed to my attention by 5:00pm on Monday, September 11th
Elections will be held from Tuesday September 12, 2023 through Friday, September 15, 2023. Voting will be conducted electronically via Survey Monkey. Election winners will be announced on Monday, September 18th.
If you are interested in learning more about the positions, reach out to your Program Director, a member of the GME executive team, or any of the current resident/fellow members of the Committee:
- Dr. Danielle Grossman, MedStar D.C. General Surgery
- Dr. Namratha Meda, MWHC Internal Medicine
- Dr. Wen Kawaji, MedStar Baltimore General Surgery
We thank you in advance for your interest. Please reach out with any questions.